The Shadow of Dragons
Cities and Locales in Southern Turrion
Arendor’s Watch is an enormous fortress city, built during and following the 1366 conflict with Rulos. The city is charged with the security of Turrion’s border with Rulos, and to guard against any incursion from The Warwood. It is also the home of the Order of the Gauntlet.
Altand is primarily a wood elf settlement, this village of about 300 blending almost seamlessly into the forest around it. The village exists on two levels, with a few structures built on the ground around an ancient monument to an elven ranger. Residences and the village temple are built into the upper boughs of the forest. The elves string rope bridges between these sites and construct circular walkways around the trees. Pulley-operated platforms connect the two levels of the village, and provide an excellent defense against the orcs that occasionally enter the forest from the hills near the Broken River. More than any other city, the Emerald Enclave call Atland home.
A large, semi-fortified compound that serves as a hostelry on the trade road between Exridge and Varsten. It fell into disuse when the flow of trade dried up during the Sleeper crisis two years ago, but now that the road is being rebuilt, the roadhouse has been repaired and put to use as a supply depot and wagon park.
A large, orderly city overlooking where the Tradespath River empties into Butcher’s Bay, Elturel is filled with merchants, river traders, and farmers’ markets. Its most distinguishing feature is a brilliant magical light that hovers above it, illuminating it day and night. This light is painful to undead and is visible from miles away, appearing from afar as a star or distant sun.
The town of Greenest was founded by the halfling Dharva Scatterheart, a rogue who fancied herself the queen of the Greenfields. Scatterheart passed away without ever achieving that level of eminence, but her town grew into a thriving community. Its success isn’t surprising, since Greenest is the only town of any size astride the Uldoon Trail, the most direct road between the bustling port of Varsten and the nations capital Exridge. The trade caravans that pass through Greenest bring gold to the town’s merchants and craftsfolk, and Governor Nighthill runs the town at the behest of the inhabitants.
A small village at the headwaters of the Tradespar River.
A remote village deep within the Kingswood, at the foot of the Greypeak Mountains.
Turrion’s largest center of trade, owing mostly to its proximity to Alwhar. Torsuul is also notable as the seat of House Turol and home of Margery Exridge. The Queen’s nephew Etheran was tragically killed by the troll Skalmad in 1480, who was in turn slain by the Hand of the North near Moonstair.
Teeming seaport, and the “gateway to Turrion.” Read more here.
The common saying goes, “If it looks like Torsuul and smells like Varsten, but no one’s got any money, you must be in Westbridge.” Pirates and smugglers who need to avoid the scrutiny of more well-regulated ports tend to favor this seaside city. The Black Network is supposedly based primarily out of Westbridge.
Where the Hillspar River splits into the Hillbranch, sits a small city of river-traders, logging enterprises, and craftshouses. Wolfspear is named for Jason Exridge’s legendary weapon, and is home to the Dullahan.